Why you’re not hearing your Oral Expression on the radio…and ten things you can do about it!
Every week we receive over 10,000 Oral Expressions. Because the show is only 4 hours long, it’s impossible to play them all–if we did, we wouldn’t be able to play any Slow Jams!
We do try our best to get as many Oral Expressions on the air as we can. But you might be surprised at how many Oral Expressions don’t make it on the show simply because the caller does not follow directions. Here’s a few tips that will increase the chance of your Oral Expression getting on the show:
1) Follow the directions given to you when you call! Your message should sound like this: “Hi, this is (name) from (city and state), and my Oral Expression is to (name). I want to tell him (message).”
2) Remember, they’re called Oral Expressions! Not dedications, not messages, and whatever you say, please do not call them “Shout Outs!” We don’t do Shout-Outs on Sunday Nite Slow Jams, and there’s no quicker way for your Oral Expression not to get played if you say “I wanna give a shout-out.”
3) Don’t forget to say where you are from, the city AND state! This is important.
4) Please don’t call us on speakerphone of your car’s Bluetooth. We won’t be able to use the recording. Make sure you are speaking into your actual phone.
5) Speak loud, and clearly. Half of the messages we receive sound like the caller is mumbling. If you’re whispering into the phone, our recording equipment can’t pick up your Expression.
6) Turn your radio down! We can’t understand you if there’s music playing in the background. Same with people making noise in the background and babies crying. Make sure when you call it’s quiet in the background.
7) Don’t make your Expression longer than 15 seconds. We try to put as many Expressions on the air as we can, and don’t have room for long, drawn out Expressions. Be to the point.
8) Please don’t leave more than one Oral Expression a day. If you make a mistake, there is an option to re-record, and you can try as many times as you like. But please don’t keep calling back and leaving numerous Expressions at once. If you do, none of yours will get on the air.
9) Un-block your phone number. You don’t have to–but it helps us to tell where you are calling from and make sure your city is represented equally during the show.
10) Don’t tell us that your man is in prison. Just tell him how you feel.
BONUS: Try to avoid ridiculous nicknames like “My pookie butt,” “dookie-bear,” etc.
If you still don’t hear your Oral Expression, try again next week.
I don’t mean for all of this to sound rude or make this ultra-difficult…this info is merely provided as help for you to increase your chances of getting on the air. Again, I try to get as many Expressions on the air as possible. Don’t hate me if I don’t get yours on right away–we get so many. Love ya!!!